All Rights Reserved 2018.
‘I need to be careful and listen to my body’ – Andy Murray pulls out of Citi Open quarter-final match
The former world No.1 has played three matches in the tournament – spending over eight hours on court
Andy Murray has withdrawn from his quarter-final match with Alex de Minaur at the Citi Open in Washington.
The three-time Grand Slam winner cited exhaustion as the reason for pulling out after his gruelling week where he was taken to three sets in all three of his matches – spending more than eight hours on court.
The 31-year-old, who only finished his third-round win against Marius Copil at 3am on Friday morning, said in a statement on the ATP website: “I won’t be able to play my match tonight. I’m exhausted after playing so much over the past four days, having not competed on the hard courts for 18 months.
“I also need to be careful and to listen to my body as I come back from a long-term injury.
“I’m gutted not to be playing and I’d like to thank the tournament and all the fans.”
It was Murray’s first hard court tournament since March 2017 having been plagued by a hip injury.
He added: “There are lots of positives to take from this week, so I’ll take some time to rest and recover – I won’t play in Toronto next week – and then head to Cincinnati early to prepare and get ready.”
Murray had earlier announced he would not be playing in next week’s Rogers Cup in Toronto.
A tweet on the Citi Open Twitter feed read: “It’s been an honor to be a part of your comeback journey, @andy_murray! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Whatever it takes, we know you’ll rise stronger than ever.”
The week in Washington saw Murray play the most consecutive matches since returning from the hip problem which kept him out for 11 months and he will now have a week’s rest and recovery instead of heading to Canada.
Sasha Banks finally responds to reports she tried to quit WWE at WrestleMania 35
Triple H ‘frustrated’ with Vince McMahon backstage as well as the WWE product
Billy Joe Saunders slaps opponent at weigh-in ahead of world title fight
Former WWE star accidentally leaks huge debut at Double or Nothing
Ronnie O’Sullivan explains reason behind bizarre Australian accent
Benn says Wilder should be charged by police over murderous Breazeale talk
Mako Vunipola battling to be fit for World Cup after hamstring tear
Boxing schedule 2019, all major upcoming fights and results
He was handed a wild card to the tournament he has won three times, but will now travel to Cincinnati to prepare for his next scheduled event – the Western and Southern Open starting on August 13.
Murray earlier said in a statement on Facebook: “Sadly I won’t be able to take my place in the draw in Toronto. I’d like to thank the tournament for a wild card, I always love playing in Canada and look forward to returning next year.
“I’ve played quite a few matches this week in Washington and I need to be smart with my rest and recovery as I come back from injury.
“My plan is to head to Cincinnati early next week. Appreciate all the support this week in Washington, it’s amazing to be back playing.”
Murray was left sobbing after his marathon win over Copil, which came after previous lengthy battles against Mackenzie McDonald and British number one Kyle Edmund.