All Rights Reserved 2018.
Six Nations 2019 permutations explained: Can England or Ireland win it? Will bonus points come into play?
It should be a thrilling final weekend in the famous competition
This season’s Six Nations is set for a thrilling conclusion today with three countries still in title contention.
Wales, England and Ireland can all win silverware with the former currently top of the table with four wins from four.
Wales take on Ireland this weekend while England face Scotland and there are a host of possible ways to where the trophy will end up.
What are the permutations?
- Wales will win the Six Nations title and clinch a first Grand Slam for seven years if they beat Ireland in Cardiff.
- If Wales and England finish level on 20 points, which is quite possible, then Wales will still be crowned champions as Grand Slam winners are automatically awarded three bonus points under Six Nations rules.
- A draw between Wales and Ireland – and England losing to Scotland at Twickenham – would see Wales win the title without a Grand Slam.
- A draw between Wales and Ireland – and England beating Scotland – would see England crowned champions.
- If Ireland beat Wales and England defeat Scotland, then England will be champions.
- If Ireland beat Wales and England fail to beat Scotland, then Ireland will be champions.
- If Ireland beat Wales and gain a bonus point and England beat Scotland but don’t gain a bonus point, then England will be champions due to their superior points difference barring an unlikely 65-point swing in Ireland’s favour.
Mako Vunipola battling to be fit for World Cup after hamstring tear
Rugby Australia terminate Israel Folau’s playing contract
Saracens lift Heineken Champions Cup after comeback win against Leinster
Tottenham’s new stadium to host 2021 European rugby finals weekend
Warren Gatland agrees to become Lions coach for 2021 South Africa tour
Israel Folau guilty of conduct breach over homophobic social media posts
James Haskell: England rugby ace announces he is retiring
What about the bonus points system?
A bonus point is awarded in the Six Nations if you score four or more tries or if you lose within seven points.
England have been at their attacking best at times in this tournament claiming three bonus points in their matches so far.
But Wales have had to make do with collecting just the four points per win and are yet to get any extras.
Yet, if Warren Gatland’s side go onto win all five matches, they are automatically awarded three bonus points for achieving the Grand Slam.
This would ensure they lift the Six Nations title, even if England get maximum points in their final fixture.
England can only get 20 points at most in tournament, while Wales will get a minimum 23 points if they remain undefeated.
What are the remaining Six Nations fixtures?
Saturday, March 16
Italy v France: 12:30pm, Stadio Olimpico
Wales v Ireland: 2:45pm, Millennium Stadium
England v Scotland: 5pm, Twickenham